Entry / Exit Requirements
For U.S. Citizens (Updated on February 2021)
Since Nov. 1, Costa Rica has allowed all countries in the world to enter by air, as long as they meet the country’s visa and COVID-19 entry requirements.
The Government of the Republic has facilitated the entry of international tourists, and since Oct. 26, eliminated the requirement of RT-PCR tests for the detection of the coronavirus. Neither Costa Ricans nor foreigners will be issued sanitary confinement (or quarantine) orders when entering the country by air. These measures are subject to change and dependent on the evolution of the pandemic both in Costa Rica and around the world.
Tourists visiting Costa Rica are asked to abide by the sanitary protocols implemented for carrying out all tourist activities in the country.
Entry requirements for the country
For information on visas, refer to the General Directorate of Migration and Foreigners: https://www.migracion.go.cr/Paginas/Visas.aspx
The following requirements remain during the pandemic:
- Complete the digital form called HEALTH PASS and available at https://salud.go.cr
- This pass will be available 48 hours before boarding. It must be accessed in an updated browser (except for Internet Explorer). An individual form must be completed for every person, including minors.
- Purchase health insurance
- It is mandatory that tourists purchase travel insurance, covering their accommodations in case of quarantine and medical expenses due to COVID-19 illness. An explanation of one’s travel insurance coverage, addressing Costa Rica’s requirements, must be uploaded or entered into the HEALTH PASS in order to be reviewed and approved by the Costa Rican authorities. If more information on international insurance is needed, the Costa Rican authorities will contact the passenger at the email address indicated in the HEALTH PASS.
- In the case of international insurance, the tourist must request from their insurer a certification issued in English or Spanish, noting at least three conditions, without forgetting to add it to the HEALTH PASS:
- Validity of the effective policy during the visit in Costa Rica.
- Guarantee of coverage for medical expenses in cases of pandemic disease COVID 19 in Costa Rica, for at least US $50,000 (fifty thousand dollars of the United States of America).
- Minimum coverage of US $2,000 for extended lodging expenses due to pandemic illness or trip interruption/cancellation due to illness, which covers the extra cost of the passenger due to quarantine.
- If you do not have international insurance, it is possible to opt for travel insurance from Costa Rican companies approved by SUGESE (General Superintendency of Insurance of Costa Rica), which offer their services at Juan Santamaría international airports (city of San José) and Daniel Oduber Quirós (city of Liberia).
- National insurances meet all the requirements to have coverage of medical expenses for illness, including COVID-19, for a minimum amount of $20,000 and coverage for extended lodging expenses or quarantine, due to pandemic illness, for a minimum amount of $2,000.
- Local insurance authorized for travelers can be valued at the following links. If you have doubts or queries about the requirements or conditions of the insurance, please email [email protected]
- Foreigners with temporary or permanent residence or temporary category who return to Costa Rica, and who are not up to date with the corresponding payments with the Costa Rican Social Security Fund, must purchase a temporary local insurance for 22 days or bring an international insurance that complies with the requirements of a foreign tourist.
- In the case of foreigners with the migratory category of permanent or temporary resident, or special category in the latter case, with the exception of the Student Subcategory, they must demonstrate the insurance by the Costa Rican social security, which can be verified at https://sfa.ccss.sa.cr/servMedicos/validarDerechos.do
Information from www.visitcostarica.com
Costa Rica Tourist Information
Colina Dental partners with some of the finest local hotels, located just minutes from our offices and close to the best that Costa Rica has to offer.
Casa de las Tías
The cedarwood Victorian-style house, set in a half acre estate, is a great start for fabulous beach vacations, an ideal base for business, trips to Central Valley mountains, volcanoes, quaint towns, whitewater rafting and jungle adventures. You can start birdwatching right at breakfast!
Tel: +(506) 2289 5517 | Fax: +(506) 2289-7353 Email: [email protected]
Posada El Quijote: Escazu
Posada El Quijote, is a ten room colonial hotel situated on a hill with a large beautiful garden and terrace with fantastic views over San Jose. Only 0.9 mile / 1.4 km from Colina Dental. The hotel offers dental clients reduced rates for stays for 3 or more nights.
Bello Horizonte Escazu.
Tierra Magica Bed & Breakfast and Art Studio: Escazu
Tierra Magica is a lovely two story house with an artistic flair. We are located in Escazú, just within walking distance from Colina Dental (600m) and close to many restaurants, shops, supermarkets, movie theatres and more.
Apartotel & Suites Villas del Rio: Escazu
P.O. Box 1188-1007
Apartotel-Suites Villas del Río, is located only 15 minutes from downtown San José, right across from the Costa Rica Country Club and close to Costa Rica's best shopping centers and restaurants. San José, Costa Rica
Courtyard San Jose Escazu Costa Rica
San José, Sábana.
Hotel Marriott Residence Inn Escazu
San José, Sábana.
The Costa Rica Star News is an English language newspaper with the latest news and information on Costa Rica as well as international news.
Noted resident author, Christopher Howard, has been writing books about Costa Rica and Latin America for over 30 years.
Find out why Costa Rica is becoming known not only as a tourism destination, but a place to live and retire by watching this DVD video.
Costa Rica Hotels & Resorts
Amatierra Yoga Retreat is located in the mountains near Puriscal and offers a new yoga center and wellness / holistic facilities. Because of its remote location, it’s an ideal honeymoon location, too!
Los Sueños Marriott Beach, Sportfishing and Golf Resort is noted as one of the “World’s Best Resorts” by Travel and Leisure.
Costa Rica Vacation Rentals
Enjoy the best beach vacation rental that Costa Rica has to offer with Casa Oceano – a 6 bedroom beach villa with infinity pool, right on the blue Pacific Ocean and sandy beach at Tango Mar Beach Resort.
VillasCostaRica.com is your one stop web site for the best Costa Rican vacation rentals all over the country.
Travel Agencies & Real Estate in Costa Rica & Latin America.
Costa Rica licensed travel agency and ground operator offers the best of Costa Rica with honeymoon packages, family vacations, selection of recommended beach hotels and adventure tours. Book with Costa Rican Trails for a care free travel experience.
Thinking of traveling to Central or South America? Latin America Collection has tour packages to Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina Mexico and Guatemala.
Panama Trails is a licensed provider of travel in Panama and specializes in custom travel planning itineraries. We select the best hotels, tours and transportation for your Latin American holiday!
Find the best that Nicaragua has to offer with a custom itinerary by www.nicaraguantrails.com.
Rent a beautiful hillside home with an ocean view in Cuba and tour around Havana.
Rental Car, Limosine Services
Service Rental Cars of Costa Rica assures you the best in quality sedan and 4 wheel drives for a care-free vacation.
Professional & Art Services
Learn about Costa Rica art, the culture, the people and write your observations into a travel and art journal. Learn how to expand your creativity with training sessions while you travel through the beautiful country of tropical Costa Rica.
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) has been called a miracle anti-aging drug — it’s widely used in alternative clinics for the elderly as a means of rejuvenation treatment, which the Anti Aging Clinic of the Americas provides.
Randy Gritz has been designing weddings in Costa Rica for over 15 years. Let an experienced wedding planner make the most important day in your life be completed to perfection.
International Services – Medical, Dental, Retirement, Vacation Rentals
Serving international clients, the stem cell transplant center in Costa Rica uses cutting edge practices with stem cells to improve and cure hitherto untreatable diseases ranging from Alzheimer’s to multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.